All this research and writing about online fandom for my dissertation is making me question and loathe the people on my Tumblr timeline…
I’ve landed an internship at a london music & entertainment PR company from June to September.
This is BRILLIANT news. After graduation I wanted to go into either event management or PR/Marketing so to have this opportunity STRAIGHT after finishing university is going to be a fantastic first step into the world of work.
Plus it means that I don’t have to worry about job hunting properly until about July/August time :) That’s a load off my mind right now. Far too much to be getting on with as it is.
I know A LOT of people at this university. And the vast majority are just acquaintances.
Then there are those who I am unsure where I stand. There is the impression of friendship. However it often feels slightly forced, especially when they are in the presence of their ‘official-friends.’ And this miffs me, because I don’t believe in wasting time on pursuing friendships with people who would not give you the time of day that you deserve…
I do have my main group of ‘closer’ uni friends, largely consisting of the hip hop group that I have grown with over the last few years. I treasure these guys. but even within this dynamic I still feel slightly on the outside of the group.
This doesn’t overly bother me too much. It allows for flexibility. And I’m not a sharer of my [real] problems, so I don’t need to rely on constantly being surrounded. And I’m also very comfortable with my own presence.
But when I do need someone to talk to… when I’m really down about something (which isn’t too often, I’m a very happy person), I never know where to turn. Who cares enough to listen properly? And who will just listen so that they can interrupt half way with their own issue?
The only person I truly confide in is my mum, who is the ultimate rock of my whole life.
But we all need other people to turn to. Who are mine? I do have Rachel back home, and my good old Riccardo, Alex and Josh. Unfortunately all of these guys are out of my reach here in Uxbridge. Who are my REAL university friends?
Please note, I am very happy. I’m just making observations on my life. It’s lacking in something. And it is probably my fault for not opening up or sharing much, but I have trust issues.
- Two modules (and the essays/exams that go with it) - Chairwoman of Dance - Dance classes and rehearsals for Show - Tour Rep - Training for both Game AND Competition Cheer squads - ‘One World Week’ Marketing Coordinator - RAG Volunteer - Fundraising and training for my Mount Kilimanjaro climb
Roll on the physical and mental breakdown.
Found out that I raised £58.71 selling the glowsticks at the end of last term. Thank you very much drunk students!
- Competed in my first ever battle (Waacking)
- Wrote my first screenplay
- Became Brunel Dance Club Chairwoman
- Awarded “Full Colours” at Sports Federation Ball
- Sang my first solo on stage
- Volunteer for the East End Film Festival
(Distribution Coordinator and Rio Cinema Venue Manager)
- Passed second year with a 1st
- Race for Life
- Tour of Italy
- Bungee Jump
- 1st for my dissertation proposal
- Placement as assistant to director at Joy Montgomery Ltd.
2013 will brings LOTS more exciting things:
- My 21st birthday
- Getting my first REAL job
- Climbing Ben Nevis
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro